By clicking the button below you are agreeing to the terms of service.
<placeholder>
<placeholder>
<placeholder>
<placeholder>.
<placeholder>
Hrvatski
Dansk
Nederlands
English
Eesti
Français
Deutsche
ελληνικά
Magyar
Italiano
Norsk
Português
Español
Svenska
 
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Level 8: Renowned Expert JCUK knows their way around JCUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    598

    The dice, the dice, the dice

    There is some very valuable information on how the the dice work in the Wiki here:

    https://www.majorcommand.com/wiki/Na...ck_and_Streaks

    A lot of people either skim through it or miss the following most critical information:

    The attacker has a slight advantage when rolling:

    4 or more Troops vs 2 or more Troops (Three dice against Two dice)
    4 or more Troops vs 1 Troop (Three dice against One die)
    3 or more Troops vs 1 Troop (Two dice against One die)

    Otherwise, the defender has an advantage when the attacker rolls:

    3 Troops vs 2 Troops (Two dice against Two dice)
    2 Troops vs 2 Troops (One dice against Two dice) < I bet you didn't know this!
    2 Troops vs 1 Troops (One dice against One dice)

    If you are considering an attack based on the last 3 options, I question why? Would you go into a gun fight with a knife?

    But, but but...the defender will always win the tie...let that sink in and then re-read the info above again.

    Do you want to know why the same players are always sitting at the top of the leader board?

    They understand the above information very well. They don't play with emotion, they play the odds...very well.

    This goes for the same players that always sit around the middle...they don't know this and play like a chancer.
    Last edited by JCUK; 04-22-2020 at 11:59 PM.

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator and All Knowing God. brianstheman is on a distinguished road brianstheman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    388
    90% chance a 3v2 attack fails to succeed. And within that 10% chance of success, most only survive with one troop.

    Love to see 3v2s by opponents. Head shake inducing by teammates.

    Of course with dice you never know. Playing 1v1 on Duck & Cover once, opponent rolled every single possible attacker first turn (4v3,3v3,3v2,2v1), and almost knocked me out before I even played. I was down to 3 or 4 troops.

    However, opponent continued tact in subsequent rounds, and regressed to the mean, resulting in his rather easy defeat.

  3. #3
    Forum Moderator and All Knowing God. Cardinalsrule is a glorious beacon of light Cardinalsrule is a glorious beacon of light Cardinalsrule is a glorious beacon of light Cardinalsrule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,662
    Actually the odds aren't that bad. when attacking 3v2 (2v2 dice) The attacker will win 36% of the time, the defender 64%.
    "And if you don't give up and don't give in, you may just be OK" ~ Mike and the Mechanics "The Living Years"

  4. #4
    Forum Moderator and All Knowing God. brianstheman is on a distinguished road brianstheman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinalsrule View Post
    Actually the odds aren't that bad. when attacking 3v2 (2v2 dice) The attacker will win 36% of the time, the defender 64%.
    Correct. SEE CHART titled "Probabilities of attacker winning a whole battle".

    Looking at the chart labeled "Outcome probabilities of dice rolls (various numbers of dice)", most probably the attacker had to roll a 2v1 to defeat the tert, resulting on 1 troop on each tert.

    To JC's point, it would seem the 3v2 attack (2 dice vs 2 dice) should be reserved for extreme conditions under most circumstances.

  5. #5
    Level 2: Familiar Sound fishlim is on a distinguished road fishlim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by brianstheman View Post
    To JC's point, it would seem the 3v2 attack (2 dice vs 2 dice) should be reserved for extreme conditions under most circumstances.
    What about starting in 12 domains?

  6. #6
    Level 8: Renowned Expert JCUK knows their way around JCUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    598
    12 Domains is a very interesting map, come and play me and I'll talk you through the strategy I use.

  7. #7
    Level 4: Recognized Voice d-flat is on a distinguished road d-flat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    51
    Agreed. I think that the biggest improvement to my play was understanding the art of restraint. Odds rather than emotion. Particularly when you ice and don't get a card. The temptation is to go hunting for one - scanning the map for other possibilities - I used to do that, one by one turning my '3's into '1's by trying silly attacks. Then afterwards you look at the map and think that actually just not getting card might not have been so bad after all!

    12D is an interesting one, as it's obviously very beneficial at the start to occupy as much of your domains as possible. Personally I still very rarely attack 3v2 though, and when I do I often regret it (64% of the time!)!

  8. #8
    Forum Moderator and All Knowing God. Cardinalsrule is a glorious beacon of light Cardinalsrule is a glorious beacon of light Cardinalsrule is a glorious beacon of light Cardinalsrule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,662
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlim View Post
    What about starting in 12 domains?
    JC, Brian are correct. Should be reserved for extreme conditions, ie. when you HAVE to take a tert to win or keep from losing a game. Early on in 12D (against neuts) is the WORST time to attack 2v2 dice, you're basically going to guarantee a defeat.
    "And if you don't give up and don't give in, you may just be OK" ~ Mike and the Mechanics "The Living Years"

  9. #9
    Level 7: Distinguished Contributor engineerairborne has good things to say engineerairborne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    204
    It is one of the first things to learn, and it is one of the hardest to remember while n game. I reserve do in a 3vs or 3v3 when I have that tert surrounded and I need one more to lower a troop deployment, and the game is close, and multiple avenues of reinforcement and reinforcement is only one along the path. that is my one case.

  10. #10
    Level 7: Distinguished Contributor periwinkle is on a distinguished road periwinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    291
    Well then....time to check out fixed force! I'll even provide training to silver members in beta! Just check out "The Loaded Dice fixed force" clan page for more info.

    https://www.majorcommand.com/clans/16/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Are you searching for a place to play RISK online? Try a Risk-Like game here at Major Command. We offer a unique global conquest game that will satisfy your RISK online cravings. RISK is a trademark of Hasbro. Major Command is not associated with Hasbro or thier RISK game in any way. | Privacy | Terms | Flash10+ required.
Major Command Game is always working on Upgrades and Improvements - Please suport us if you can. Thank You! :-)
Membership Options