By clicking the button below you are agreeing to the terms of service.
<placeholder>
<placeholder>
<placeholder>
<placeholder>.
<placeholder>
Hrvatski
Dansk
Nederlands
English
Eesti
Français
Deutsche
ελληνικά
Magyar
Italiano
Norsk
Português
Español
Svenska

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Angevin Empire

Level 11: Commanding General of Everything. Don't ask, just listen. I'm at 11. Sebrim commands your respect Sebrim commands your respect Sebrim's Avatar
    Thanks, Oggyyy! That makes it a bit clearer. Don't worry about the 48 thing. anything above 36 is perfectly fine. We have many big maps, and this one would be a bit smaller :-)

What about you add the colours to the bordering region in the cities? So, to the north, it would be light blue, and to thewest and east it would be darker blue? Maybe matted a bit, but I think it would help.

I'm also wondering a bit about the river crossings you have added everywhere. I undestand it in Domaine Royal, but would it maybe be an idea to have the only river crossing in Normandie within the city of Rouen? Same in Bretagne within Rennes. That would add an interesting twist to taking these two commands :-) London is that way already, right? And Dinefwr is on the border, right? I like the fact that the cities have different kinds of relations with their surroundings. And your hand drawings promise to be something really special!

Btw, what is that river running right across the continent from the Atlantic to the Mediterraneran? If it is meant to block access, I would definitely prefer to have some mountains in the middle, because that defies Geography.

The command called Toulouse, would you not rather want to call it Languedoc or Midi or Provence, or something?

Level 6: Prominent Opinion Oggyyy is on a distinguished road Oggyyy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebrim View Post
    Thanks, Oggyyy! That makes it a bit clearer. Don't worry about the 48 thing. anything above 36 is perfectly fine. We have many big maps, and this one would be a bit smaller :-)

What about you add the colours to the bordering region in the cities? So, to the north, it would be light blue, and to thewest and east it would be darker blue? Maybe matted a bit, but I think it would help.

I'm also wondering a bit about the river crossings you have added everywhere. I undestand it in Domaine Royal, but would it maybe be an idea to have the only river crossing in Normandie within the city of Rouen? Same in Bretagne within Rennes. That would add an interesting twist to taking these two commands :-) London is that way already, right? And Dinefwr is on the border, right? I like the fact that the cities have different kinds of relations with their surroundings. And your hand drawings promise to be something really special!

Btw, what is that river running right across the continent from the Atlantic to the Mediterraneran? If it is meant to block access, I would definitely prefer to have some mountains in the middle, because that defies Geography.

The command called Toulouse, would you not rather want to call it Languedoc or Midi or Provence, or something?
    Excellent points Sebrim =)

The rivers aren't totally accurate but rather required along the regions to break up the map

The main river in the south is a bit wrong like you say - it is meant to represent the Garonne, Tarn and Hrault rivers - but as you point out they don't interact totally with each other so therefore I will research this and change the flow of the rivers - I will probably re-draw them too as they are a bit "sketchy"

in regards to the cities, yes I think them interacting in different ways with each region was the desired effect and the flow of commands could certainly be changed by removing bridges - like you say, by having river crossings in cities only.

Yes the "Castle" of Dinefwr will be attackable on the border with Powys, similarly London from Wessex and East Anglia.

I'll be honest, i'm not totally sure about the topography of France - so I will need both a bit of guidance and to do some research to add mountain ranges =)

Level 6: Prominent Opinion smi is on a distinguished road smi's Avatar
    hey oggyyy , wow the city drawing of Paris is pretty damn good!

One minor detail: it seems like its near a beach due to the light blue color used and due to the fact that none of the houses are inside the light blue area. ( which seems correct generally since you want to show that Paris belongs to the Domaine Royale command ) .

Maybe use another color? Or add some trees/ windmills / houses to show that this is land not sea?

Or maybe use stripped light blue?

Quote Originally Posted by smi View Post
    hey oggyyy , wow the city drawing of Paris is pretty damn good!

One minor detail: it seems like its near a beach due to the light blue color used and due to the fact that none of the houses are inside the light blue area. ( which seems correct generally since you want to show that Paris belongs to the Domaine Royale command ) .

Maybe use another color? Or add some trees/ windmills / houses to show that this is land not sea?

Or maybe use stripped light blue?
    Oh yea! I never thought of that, i'll have a play later - I definitely agree

I should probably get some real work done first =)

One minor note - the choice of colours - blue and red in particular are to represent the historic "House Colours" of each Ruler - Blue Representing Louis VII and Red representing Henry II

I think Ireland may also have been part of the "Empire" at this period of time - although this is completely minor and more for cosmetics

Few minor additions, boats, trees and windmills - pretty small...!! so not sure if this achieves / solves the problem raised regarding the "beach look"

Level 6: Prominent Opinion linkinpark is on a distinguished road linkinpark's Avatar
    Hey, I love your map, this should be fun to play.

I'd just like to point out a few typos: It should be "Vassaux royeaux" (plural) and "Angleterre" has only one "t". Also, "Navarra" is "Navarre" in French. "Angoulme" is spelled with an "" rather than an "". "Pays de Galles" doesn't have an "e" in "Pays". And you forgot an "a" in "Mer Mditerrane".
    Last edited by linkinpark; 01-13-2016 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by linkinpark View Post
    Hey, I love your map, this should be fun to play.

I'd just like to point out a few typos: It should be "Vassaux royeaux" (plural) and "Angleterre" has only one "t". Also, "Navarra" is "Navarre" in French. "Angoulme" is spelled with an "" rather than an "". "Pays de Galles" doesn't have an "e" in "Pays". And you forgot an "a" in "Mer Mditerrane".
    Excellent thank you very much

Not bad considering I haven't spoken any French since school =)

I will update them in due course

Typos corrected and Dijon added - again same as Paris, split in to two Regions, starting Neutral (3) - both attackable from, and surrounded by Bourgogne

Bourgogne text needs adding to the Dijon minimap

Also - not sure about colouring the "City" regions.

I'll add troop placeholder positions soon, and remove the names temporarily to give you an idea of the map without region names

Level 11: Commanding General of Everything. Don't ask, just listen. I'm at 11. Sebrim commands your respect Sebrim commands your respect Sebrim's Avatar
    Great job :-)

linkin had a typo himself: it's vassaux royaux, whtout an 'e'

I'm not sure if I like the background colours in the city squares. Especially if the cities themselves are not going to be coloured. Is Dijon a two-tier city? With one part as a city and one part as a meadow? One thing you have to think about, is that you need troop containers in each territory. they should be 32px by 16px. And the territory name needs to fit in as well - a bit bigger than the current font, I guess

Level 6: Prominent Opinion linkinpark is on a distinguished road linkinpark's Avatar
    Hah, thanks Sebrim, French is a tricky language, isn't it? ^^