By clicking the button below you are agreeing to the terms of service.
<placeholder>
<placeholder>
<placeholder>
<placeholder>.
<placeholder>
Hrvatski
Dansk
Nederlands
English
Eesti
Français
Deutsche
ελληνικά
Magyar
Italiano
Norsk
Português
Español
Svenska

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Map Questions

Level 11: Commanding General of Everything. Don't ask, just listen. I'm at 11. Bluebonnet commands your respect Bluebonnet commands your respect Bluebonnet's Avatar

Map Questions

So if i wanted to assist in the development of making maps and doing the programming, what skills would i need to have?

I have thoughts on the Battle of Balaclava, or more precisely the Charge of the Light Brigade. The cannon placements and the valley of death could lead to some interesting strategies.

But before the development of that, I would like to assist others and get a better idea of all it take to build a good map.

Level 11: Commanding General of Everything. Don't ask, just listen. I'm at 11. Bluebonnet commands your respect Bluebonnet commands your respect Bluebonnet's Avatar

Make My Day... NewSheriffInTown commands your respect NewSheriffInTown commands your respect NewSheriffInTown's Avatar
    I think the biggest thing, is being skilled with photoshop.

Studio Production Manager Shepherd is a name known to all Shepherd is a name known to all Shepherd is a name known to all Shepherd is a name known to all Shepherd's Avatar
    Hey gtivan, I assume you've read through this thread...
    https://www.majorcommand.com/forums/...he-Map-Studios

Photoshop is certainly helpful for mapmaking, in that it's easy to edit the individual elements of an image. But I think the most important knowledge required for mapmaking comes from playing a lot of different maps on a lot of different settings. How does a 30-region map with 16 starting neutrals work as an eight-player game? How does a game with really easy-to-attain bonuses play as a two-player game? I look for a map to be well-balanced regardless of game settings, and to reward smart play over luck of the draw (or dice).

Mapmaking has, as you've probably noticed, slowed to a crawl as the development focus has turned to re-coding, but if there's always room for an absolutely stellar idea.
    When sorrows come they come not in single spies, but in battalions.