By clicking the button below you are agreeing to the terms of service.
<placeholder>
<placeholder>
<placeholder>
<placeholder>.
<placeholder>
Hrvatski
Dansk
Nederlands
English
Eesti
Français
Deutsche
ελληνικά
Magyar
Italiano
Norsk
Português
Español
Svenska

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Studio Production Manager Shepherd is a name known to all Shepherd is a name known to all Shepherd is a name known to all Shepherd is a name known to all Shepherd's Avatar
    with Domains and Mars in the can, and since everything else I've tinkered with sucks, I might take my favorite idea from this thread and run with it. Right now Venice and the Roman Empire are near the top, but I'm hoping to be really blown away by something. Come on, folks!
    When sorrows come they come not in single spies, but in battalions.

Forum Moderator and All Knowing God. Cardinalsrule is a glorious beacon of light Cardinalsrule is a glorious beacon of light Cardinalsrule is a glorious beacon of light Cardinalsrule's Avatar
    what was wrong with the middle east map? Is the problem with the oil rigs? I don't remember having anything glitch when we played that one game, but I don't think anyone got the bonus for that.

I kind of like the Vietnam War idea, with tunnels providing attacks across the map, much the way that the sea routes are on the developing Phillippines map. Another one that I'd like to see (down the road maybe) is the Russian Revolution. You could do the nobles estates similar to the castles on the domains map.
    "And if you don't give up and don't give in, you may just be OK" ~ Mike and the Mechanics "The Living Years"

Level 9: Highly Acclaimed Authority on the Subject mark deserves your respect mark's Avatar
    What about something (like this one)?

Obviously not using those specific one but the idea of a map of different, identifiable fantasy regions? I ask this as an idea rather than providing a map for two reasons:
    1. Is this kosher? How do I do this without it looking like I just stole ideas from either of these maps?

2. What does one create these maps in? I'm not a Photoshop wizard (or even MS Paint). Is there some program that allows me to draw in a free hand style (make squiggly lines) with a mouse?

If this is ok then I'll start fiddling around with it; develop a list of fantasy regions/worlds, try to figure how any of them connect (metaphorically), draw a map. Should have something by mid-2015. ;-)

BTW, same could be done with SF universes...but that's beyond my abilities to figure out how to connect universes (worm holes?) on a 2-D map.
    Last edited by mark; 03-10-2012 at 03:12 AM.

Senior Cartographer WidowMakers is a glorious beacon of light WidowMakers is a glorious beacon of light WidowMakers is a glorious beacon of light WidowMakers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post

Obviously not using those specific one but the idea of a map of different, identifiable fantasy regions? I ask this as an idea rather than providing a map for two reasons:
    1. Is this kosher? How do I do this without it looking like I just stole ideas from either of these maps?

2. What does one create these maps in? I'm not a Photoshop wizard (or even MS Paint). Is there some program that allows me to draw in a free hand style (make squiggly lines) with a mouse?

If this is ok then I'll start fiddling around with it; develop a list of fantasy regions/worlds, try to figure how any of them connect (metaphorically), draw a map. Should have something by mid-2015. ;-)

BTW, same could be done with SF universes...but that's beyond my abilities to figure out how to connect universes (worm holes?) on a 2-D map.
    1) Well I agree we cant just steal a map like that. But if depending on what style of GP you wish to achieve, the layout will vary. One thing you can do it look at the real world and find a place that might give you the same sort of feel. Flip it upside down and rotate it. Then add more parts of other regions to it. Example below. Just need to experiment and see what you get.
    http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Cre...shop-158088259
    http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tu...-in-photoshop/

2) If you just want a simple program then paint is your one for scribbles. But GIMP is a godo open source free paint tool you can use.

3) Here are a few ways I would connect two wormholes visually on a 2D map. Just a quick 15 min job. and photoshop crashed before I could save so no actual fail to share either. :-(

Studio Production Manager Shepherd is a name known to all Shepherd is a name known to all Shepherd is a name known to all Shepherd is a name known to all Shepherd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    My concern with a map like this is that we're not just stealing one person's intellectual property, we're stealing everybody's. It's an open invitation to send our lawyers (if we even have lawyers) a cease and desist letter.

But overall I like the idea of more fantasy maps. !2 Domains was fun to work on. And we absolutely need some space maps.
    When sorrows come they come not in single spies, but in battalions.

Level 1: Faint Background Noise isaacmed is on a distinguished road isaacmed's Avatar
    Sorry, I have a noob question. Where do I find the command bonuses for the Classic Massive map? I'm new to this site but really like it so far. Thanks!

Super Moderator and Forum Commander Chilly commands your respect Chilly commands your respect Chilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacmed View Post
    Sorry, I have a noob question. Where do I find the command bonuses for the Classic Massive map? I'm new to this site but really like it so far. Thanks!
    Click on the briefing tab in game.

Here you go:

Level 1: Faint Background Noise isaacmed is on a distinguished road isaacmed's Avatar
    I'd like to see some maps based on the American Civil War and WW2.

thanks!!

Level 6: Prominent Opinion BudH has good things to say BudH's Avatar
    Maybe
    - Punic Wars with Carthage, Rome, Numidians...
    - Valley of Mexico (Aztec empire) with Tenochtitlan and other cities, isles, bridges (we could maybe build bridges using some of our troops)